Sunday, December 28, 2014

Warming Waffles

Having leftover squash usually means making soup, but I had just finished a batch and didn't think Mom would appreciate a rerun. The King Arthur Flour site posted a Gingerbread Waffle recipe that sounded intriguing, as my sister had stayed overnight and a special breakfast was in order. I opted to hybridize the recipe incorporating leftover squash from Christmas dinner plus the gingerbread theme, and it turned out to be a winner, especially with sliced ripe d'Anjou pear served on the waffles. I didn't measure, but here's an approximation that will work, give or take a splash or two of buttermilk. I started with about 1-1/2 cups of the squash puree, which had begun as a knobby, orange non-pumpkin (Kabocha?), oven-roasted and immersion blended. To the puree, I added 1/4 cup dark molasses, 2 T. Truvia, the equivalent of 2 eggs (Eggbeaters), about 1/3 cup coconut sugar (you could use brown sugar), plus 2 T. canola oil. To that mixture, I added 1/3 tsp. ground ginger, 1 tsp. cinnamon, and a pinch of cloves, plus a little sea salt. I used about 3/4 cup each of whole wheat pastry flour and unbleached flour, with 1 tsp. baking powder and 1/4 tsp. baking soda. I mixed the dry ingredients together with the liquid ingredients, just stirring enough to incorporate, which resulted in a fairly stiff dough that I thinned with buttermilk until it was the consistency of a thick pancake batter. The waffles were a hit, as they were light yet substantial enough that one made a perfect breakfast. I would not hesitate to use roasted sweet potatoes in a similar role.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pause that refreshes

Pause that refreshes
taken at Trout Lake Arts Fest