Friday, April 5, 2013

Caucasian Asian Breakfasts

I have steadfastly eschewed cereal as a breakfast option for some time. Until recently, I had not been breakfasting much at all, except perhaps on weekends when a fritatta, huevos rancheros or sourdough buckwheat pancakes were more brunch items than breakfast. Cereal, especially those that come in a box, leave me cold. However, I have a new reality. My morning routine must begin with a fasting blood sugar reading, and I have to take my morning Metformin with something to eat. My nurse practitioner (aka my sister) was aghast at my breakfastless state, and has urged low-fat protein as preferable to carb-laden breakfasts, the American norm. I have been trying Greek yogurt with half a fresh pear or banana, or a fresh fruit smoothie, which are okay but a bit too filling. Eggbeater omelettes are not the same as the lovely bright-yolked eggs I had been getting from local hens and placing over easy atop a tortilla and salsa fresca (actually a formerly favorite lunch). I have been trying various options, and recently hit on the most satisfactory breakfast of all, at least for my palate --- miso soup/pho in all their possible, if not totally authentic, permutations. This morning, I made a real winner incorporating some red organic non-GMO miso paste that I found in my favorite little Asian store on Mill Plain in Vancouver. I have not got up enough nerve to go home with the fish swimming around in their tanks, but that store is where I find reasonably priced baby bok choy, oyster mushrooms, dried sliced shiitakes, buckwheat and brown rice noodles, sesame oil, black bean garlic paste, various types of soy sauces and fish sauce and all the other Asian items now lining my shelves and the door of the refrigerator. This morning's repast began with a teaspoon of black bean garlic sauce and a little Bragg's amino sauce mixed in water, followed by dried shiitakes, oyster mushrooms, 2 scallions, 2 baby sweet orange peppers, 2 baby bok choy, ginger, garlic, about a half cup of frozen stirfry vegetables, the last of a frozen bag of mixed seafood (about 3/4 cup), and a handful of buckwheat noodles, topped off with a heaping tablespoon of red miso plus a drop of sesame oil and a couple of sprinkles of red pepper flakes. One big soup cup later, I was sated and ready for the day, with enough left over for a light supper. It is my version of stone soup, and can include tofu, light coconut milk, broccoli slaw strands, leftover salmon or other fish, mung bean/glass noodles (not that low carb, alas), asparagus, chicken breast, frozen green beans, chili paste, shredded carrot, or whatever else is lurking in the crisper drawer. One of these days I will make it out to Uwajimaya in Beaverton to stock up on bonito flakes, seaweed and other more authentic Japanese miso soup ingredients. Back in my macrobiotic hippie days, I used to enjoy spring miso, which is a more delicate, pale version of the tub of red miso I have now. One great thing about miso is its versatility (a tasty and healthful marinade for salmon or salad dressing ingredient) and its longevity in the refrigerator. Mom is not much of a fan, so I have been doing batches of vegetable/chicken/rice soup she can eat for her lunch with a pressed turkey and low-fat processed cheese sandwich. I cook pots of hot cereal for her breakfast. The latest version she heated this morning included steelcut oats, seven-grain rolled flakes, chopped dried apple, raisins and cinnamon. Tuesday morning, I had an early clinic appointment and had to eat something to go with my medicine, so opted for a little of her cereal, nuked and topped with a little fat-free half and half. Hey, it wasn't half bad, just a little too breakfasty for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pause that refreshes

Pause that refreshes
taken at Trout Lake Arts Fest