Monday, July 12, 2010

Frozen equals comfort

It was 103 degrees on the bank thermometer in the center of town Thursday afternoon as I left for Seattle. I had stopped by NAPA earlier to have my battery and alternator checked because turning on the air conditioner meant a plunge to zero charging, and I didn't want to end up by the side of the road.
Rick at NAPA swore both were okay, but a trial shot at using the air conditioner lasted less than three minutes as the charging needle headed for zero again.
That's why when I arrived in Seattle around 10:30 p.m., three or four construction zones later with the truck's temperature not cooperating, I was in melt-down mode.
My sister lived in Saudi Arabia more than three years, and her home is filled with the remnants of that experience, but she had to forego sleeping upstairs, as her house wasn't even beginning to cool down.
I met a woman the next morning at a meeting of the Washington Coalition for Open Government who had also lived in the Middle East several years. She said people in Seattle had no idea what real heat can be. My sister's husband is in the Emirates; I know he would agree.
This summer has seen a revival of the popsicle. Only because Jean and her boys helped install an air conditioner last week did I relinquish one of my two sets of popsicle molds. I have hung onto the Volcano Pops; they are worth their weight in gold.
The principle is simple: Fruit, juice, yogurt and whatever else you can throw in. It doesn't take much. Recent batches have included variations incorporating raspberries, blackberries, bananas, orange juice concentrate, pomegranate juice and melon.
Here are some combinations to try:
Pineapple and light coconut milk whipped up in the blender. (You perverse drinker types will immediately think of a pina colada, in which case you should know that alcohol inhibits freezing, so don't add much, and let it remain in the freezer longer.)
An orange juice concentrate, banana and raspberry combination was spectacular. So was a simple frozen pop of whole frozen blackberries in pomegranate juice with some Splenda --- but so refreshing.
Experimenting is half the fun. Little Volcano Pops are just the right size, and have a collection area for melted juice. What could be better while sitting in a lawn swing in the shade?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pause that refreshes

Pause that refreshes
taken at Trout Lake Arts Fest