Thursday, September 24, 2009

Breakfast symphony

Using the freshest ingredients in season often involves improvisation, which to me is like music. It's something acted upon immediately and perfect when it's right. The other morning I awoke at 6:05 with a priority --- four large ripe pears --- although I had to be at work before 8:30. The pears with a perfect blush on their skins were beckoning. I had traveled to Hood River to pick up my mother from a week-long trip the day before and didn't have time to deal with the pears then.
Breakfast was improvised, and I don't have a recipe written down, but here goes:
The four large pears were cored and chopped into a thick kettle, not peeled, with one-third cup of white wine and a squeeze of plastic lime ( I know). From the freezer, I took out a giant knob of frozen fresh ginger knob, shaving off about 3 T. of the knob with a paring knife. I added about one-quarter cup of cranberry juice with Splenda and one-half cup of dried cranberries, plus a good squeeze of agave syrup, then put in probably one-half cup of fluffy Splenda (sorry --- that's how I roll. Erythritol would have been better, but I was out.).
I brought it to a boil, then put in one package of Ball low-sugar pectin, stirring constantly. Bringing it back to a boil, I timed it for a minute. Meanwhile, I had taken three pint jars and put them and their lids into hot water, bringing the water to a boil in another deep kettle.
The jars boiled at least a minute before I fished them out one at a time to fill the jars, using a rubber-lined jar lifter I found at Goodwill for about a dollar.
I filled two pints and put the sterilized lids on. There was half a jar left over to use immediately (although the lid popped like it had sealed, too.)
I made sourdough cornmeal pancakes, using the starter I have in the refrigerator for sourdough french bread. I added about one-half cup white cornmeal self-rising southern cornbread mix (fifty cents at Grocery Outlet because it was outdated) plus about three-quarters cup of starter, and one egg (I used Eggbeaters) plus enough buttermilk to thin it to the consistency of pancake batter. I usually put in about one-quarter teaspoon of soda and a little salt and agave syrup to give it balance.
The pancakes were the lightest, perfect with the still warm pear/cranberry/ginger jam remainders.
I still got to work on time, having taken no more than 45 minutes to put up two pints of no-sugar jam for the winter, plus making a gourmet breakfast for my 83-year-old mother.
Maybe microwave oatmeal is easy, but this wasn't that much harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pause that refreshes

Pause that refreshes
taken at Trout Lake Arts Fest